The Ultimate Camping food: The Potjie (Poike)!
When you go out camping (in the desert for example), you make that wonderful campfire, and you want to make the ultimate dish – suitable for the infinite stars resort you are at.
This special Poike dish is just the thing for you. (Potjie is a special pot made for open fire)
(pssstt……. Let me let you in on a secret… if you are staying at home – and don’t have a Potjie – this also turns out really great – in any slow cooking pot you have ;-))
So here it is a special desert Potjie dish – with dried fruit.
Pieces of beef meat – as per the number of people eating.
4 sweet potatoes
1 garlic head
Dried fruit: dates, apricots, plums, figs, raisins. (Create the mix to your liking)
1/2 cup of Silan
1 bottle of red wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
Salt, Pepper, Cardamom, Bay leaves, Ginger, Thyme.
- Cut all vegetables into large chunks
- Fry the onion, add in the meat and brown for a few minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients – exclude the sweet potato and the garlic, season, and cover with water – until half the pot is filled with water.
- Cook for 30 minutes, now add the sweet potato and garlic, check seasoning and continue cooking until the vegetables are soft and the meat is tender.
- Throughout the cooking time make sure that the pot is always 1/3 filled with water.
Serve straight out of the pot – everyone will be amazed at how delicious it is!
Sit down under the perfect desert sky, enjoy the magical silence, the awe inspiring space and of course the great company.
Loved it? Share it!