Challah! Need we say more?
Is there anything more symbolizing of Shabbat than this divine delicious creation of baked bread?
It is the best scent at home. Simply irresistible to nibble away (in our house, sometime even before Shabbat dinner – so we often make more than two…)
Here is our simple and always successful recipe for Challah:
1 Kg plain flower
2 Tbsp dry yeast
8 Tbsp sugar
2 Eggs (XL)
½ Cup Canola oil
400 ml lukewarm water
2 tsp salt
For brushing: 1 egg mixed with 1 tsp canola oil
For sprinkling: Sesame seeds
- Mix flower, dry yeast and sugar in the mixer bowl
- Add in the egg, oil and 1.5 cups of water
- Mix with the kneading hook, add water until a flexible dough is formed
- Sprinkle the salt and keep on kneading until the dough is unified, smooth and flexible.
- Cover with a damp kitchen cloth and let rise until double size
6. Divide the dough into 3 or 4 parts and braid two challahs.
7. Cover again in the baking tray lined with baking paper and let rise again until double in size
8. Brush with the egg and oil mixture and sprinkle with sesame
9. Bake in preheated oven at 180C/350F for about 30 minutes until golden.
Loved it? Share it!