Crown Honey Challah for the New Year
To celebrate the New Year, we all need a celebratory challah to give us the sweet taste of new beginnings and wishes for a beautiful, happy and successful year ahead. So here is wonderful and festive challah recipe to make you feel special for this special time of year.
Makes 2 Challahs
1 kg Plain Flour
1 tbsp Salt
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
2 tbsp Dried Yeast
2 L Eggs
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Honey
360 ml / 1.5 cups lukewarm water
For the Glazing:
4 tbsp Honey mixed with 2 tbsp boiling water
- In a mixer bowl with a kneading hook place the flour, salt and dried yeast.
- Fold in the sugar, eggs, honey and oil and mix well.
- Add the water slowly and gradually, not all quantity, only until the dough forms
- Kneed for about 10 minutes until a soft and sticky dough forms.
- Oil a bowl and roll the dough in it until covers well. Let it rise until double in size, in a cloth covered bowl. About 1.5 hours.
- Oil a round 28″ spring pan, and place a small, oven suitable glass bowl upside down in the center. Oil the flipped glass bowl as well.
- After the dough has risen, divide into 9 bowls, 100 gr. each and about 5cm diameter.
- Smooth each ball’s surface using both palms and pushing the access dough underneath and inside the ball.
- Place the dough balls in the pan, spaces 2 cm. apart, with their smoothed side up.
- Cover in cloth, and let it rise again for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas4 Oven
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden
- When the Challah is out of the oven brush with the honey glaze and sprinkle some crystalized sugar on top.
- Only after the challah riches room temperature let out of the pan, and take out glass bowl.
- Serve fresh! It is best like so!
I promise the house will be filled with the aroma of Rosh Hashana and the festive atmosphere will surround you.
Loved it? Share it!