Rolled up dates cookies – the essence of home
Ok, I know I have said on many of the cookie recipes that they make me feel like home. And that I am crazy about them. And that they are the best… what can I do? I have a really serious infatuation with this little baked pastries. Like little pieces of pure happiness and joy in every bite. This recipe is a classic in my kitchen, easy to make, delicious and I always have some dates in my pantry.
Enjoy this Israeli classic people. It is TASTY!
350 gr / 2 1/2 cups / 12.5 oz. Plain Flour
2 tbsp Powder Sugar
5 gram / 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
100 gr / 3.5 oz. Soft Unsalted Butter
120 ml / 1/2 cup Canola Oil
120 ml / 1/2 cup Orange Juice
For the Filling:
300 gr / 10 oz. Dates Spread
4 tbsp finely chopped nuts
- Mix all dough ingredients together in a food processor until soft and unified. Wrap in a plastic wrap and fridge overnight.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts, roll each one into a thin leaf on a flowered surface
- Spread each part with the dates spread and sprinkle with nuts
- Roll each part into a semi tight cylinder
- Place into a baking tray lined up with baking paper
- Cut each cylinder into a 2cm thick slices, but inky make the cut half way through, do not separate the pieces.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden in a preheated oven to 170C/340F
- Cool down, cut all the way thru and dust with powder sugar
*** If you wish you can replace the dates spread with a chocolate spread. Kids LOVE those!
Loved it? Share it!