When I think about local fruits, I immediately think about what I can bake with them. I started making this lemon cake years ago, and ever since, it’s become a staple of our home.
Warning: it’s addictive!
Makes two 25cm English Cake pans
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 grated lemon peels
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ cup vegetable oil
½ yogurt (100 ml.) yogurt- don’t use the low-fat stuff here!
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. plain yogurt
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
5-6 heaping tbsp. powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 340 degrees F
- Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in a mixer at high speed for 4-5 minutes until mixture is airy and has risen. Add the grated lemon peel and juice and mix slowly.
- Mix oil and yogurt in a separate bowl and add slowly while mixing to other ingredients. Mix well.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to mixture, fold until mixed well.
- Transfer to baking pans and straighten into one layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool.
- Glaze: Add yogurt, lemon juice and powdered sugar to bowl and mix until thick. Use a spoon to drip on the cakes. Add fresh strawberries for decoration.
Loved it? Share it!